- 1 pound (about 6 cups) cabbage, red or green*, shredded
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and shredded
- 1 very small shallot, minced (2 tablespoons)
- 1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh dill, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup chives, finely chopped**
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves, minced
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 large lemon, zested and juiced
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- cracked pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, toss together cabbage, carrots, shallot, parsley, dill, chives, and thyme. See photos for how to shred cabbage, and how much dill to use.
- In a small bowl or liquid measuring cup, add the buttermilk, mayonnaise, sour cream, lemon zest and lemon juice, sugar, whole grain mustard, caraway, celery seeds, 1/2 teaspoon salt and black pepper to taste. (Use a microplane grater to zest your lemon. So much easier.)
- Whisk to combine.
- Pour the dressing over the tossed salad. Cover and chill for at least 30 minutes, or up to 3 days. The cabbage will release moisture and create even more dressing the longer it sits. YUM!
*You can use half a red cabbage and half green.
**If you can’t find chives; green onions made a great substitute.
Did you try this recipe? If so please comment below and post your pic on Instagram and tag me in it! I’m a Mom who loves to cook and stay healthy! I also wrote a book called Health & Wellness 101…click here to get your copy!!