We’ve seen this pumpkin hummus floating around, and I decided to give it a try!! This stuff is surprisingly good: hummus with an undertone of pumpkin-y goodness.
A few notes on our take:
-We focused on simplicity — this is the easiest, bare-bone recipe, but has great flavor.
-If you like a thicker consistency of hummus, use a little less pumpkin, but our recipe is for one can (so you don’t end up with that little container of half-used pumpkin gathering dust in your refrigerator – anyone with me?).
-We’ve had fun using this hummus in some interesting creative ways — we’ll share if they pass the “blog-able?” test.
Cheers to pumpkin season!
- 1 3/4 cups dry garbanzo beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
- 5 fluid ounces lemon juice
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup tahini paste
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- salt to taste
- Place the garbanzo beans into a large container and cover with several inches of cool water; let stand 8 hours to overnight. Or, bring the beans and water to a boil in a large pot over high heat. Once boiling, turn off the heat, cover, and let stand 1 hour. Drain and rinse before using.
- Place the soaked garbanzo beans into a large saucepan and cover with several inches of water. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the garbanzo beans are tender, 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Once cooked, refrigerate the beans and liquid until cold.
- Drain the garbanzo beans, reserving the cooking liquid. Place the beans and 1/2 cup of the reserved cooking liquid into a blender, and puree until a smooth paste forms. Add the pumpkin puree, lemon juice, olive oil, tahini, garlic, cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice. Cover and puree again until smooth. Use additional cooking liquid as needed to achieve a smooth consistency. Season to taste with salt.
Did you try this recipe? If so please comment below and post your pic on Instagram and tag me in it! I’m a Mom who loves to cook and stay healthy! I also wrote a book called Health & Wellness 101…click here to get your copy!!
If you enjoyed this recipe Pumpkin Hummus please retweet this recipe.