Pair this rich side dish with grilled chicken or fish
- 1 C dry whole-grain orzo (pasta)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic, minced (about 1 clove)
- 1 C jarred roasted red peppers in natural juice, drained and diced (or substitute fresh roasted red peppers; see tip)
- 2 C low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 Tbsp fresh basil, rinsed, dried, and chopped (or 1 tsp dried)
- 1 Tbsp fresh parsley, rinsed, dried, and chopped (or 1 tsp dried)
- ½ C shredded part skim mozzarella cheese
1. Preheat oven to 400 ºF. Place orzo on a baking sheet and
toast in the oven for 5 minutes, or until it just begins to brown
(or brown in a saucepan). Remove from heat and cool slightly.
2 . Heat olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic, and cook gently until it gets soft, but does not brown (about 30 seconds).
3 . Add peppers, and cook until heated through.
4 . Add toasted orzo and chicken broth. Bring to a boil and simmer gently, stirring often until the pasta has absorbed all of the liquid and is fully cooked, about 10–15 minutes. (If necessary, add 2 more tablespoons broth at a time, up to ¼ cup.)
5 . Add herbs and cheese. Toss gently to mix; do not overmix or the cheese will become gummy. Serve immediately.
Tip: To make roasted red peppers, see this easy recipe
Did you try this recipe? If so please comment below and post your pic on Instagram and tag me in it! I’m a Mom who loves to cook and stay healthy! I also wrote a book called Health & Wellness 101…click here to get your copy!!
If you enjoyed this recipe Roasted Red Pepper and Toasted Orzo please retweet this recipe.