Roasted red peppers add extra zing to this classic chopped tomato dish. Ah bruschetta, one of the best ways to enjoy the bounty of summer. Pronounced “brusketta”, this classic Italian appetizer is a perfect way to capture the flavors of garden ripened tomatoes, fresh basil, garlic, and olive oil. Think of it as summer on toast!
- ½ whole grain baguette (French bread), cut into 12 slices (or substitute 3 slices whole-wheat bread, each cut into 4 squares)
- 1 C fresh tomatoes, rinsed and diced
- ¼ C jarred roasted red peppers, diced
- 6 Kalamata olives, rinsed and sliced (or substitute any black olive)
- ½ Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp fresh basil, rinsed, dried, and chopped (or 2 tsp dried)
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
1. Lightly toast baguette slices.
2. Combine remaining ingredients, and toss well.
3. Top each bread slice with about 2 tablespoons of tomato mixture, and serve
Did you try this recipe? If so please comment below and post your pic on Instagram and tag me in it! I’m a Mom who loves to cook and stay healthy! I also wrote a book called Health & Wellness 101…click here to get your copy!!